Wednesday, December 29, 2010


2010 The year of the remodel - the sunken living room


I had a mantle made and tile work done to cover the original, circa 1973, white brick fireplace. (See Polaroid).

 I was proud of the job, however, pride goeth before the fall.  Upon inspection, plywood was left exposed along the edge of the tile.  It was.... ahem...a fire hazard.  Sheesh..... (rolling my eyes).

I lived with it as a decorative piece.  For 15 years, it was good for burning candles in it, ala Martha Stewart.

 When I wanted the floor raised, it was an easy decision to remove the fireplace altogether.  It was easier and cheaper than somehow raising it from the sunken living room and fixing it too.  


Here it is before it completely goes away......  



The fireplace is gone.  The floor is raised and a window installed.....











and now, with a new view, it looks like I need to do some yard work......






1 comment:

Tina Beana said...

Sad you had to get rid of the fireplace. But I love the big picture window you put there instead. It certainly lights up the room and looks great! :)